Ellesmere College students and staff are celebrating an "outstanding" A-Level results day with an overall pass rate of 96% - a record breaking year for the College!
The results featured some highly impressive individual performances and more than 50% of all grades awarded were in the top A* A B grades, the threshold required for many Russell Group University places.
- Alistair O'Brien, from Llangollen, swept the board with four A* grades in Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, and Further Maths. He will now take up his place to study Computer Science at Queen's College, Cambridge.
- Toby Slack, from Ellesmere who secured two A* grades in Geography and Biology and an A in Chemistry, will now read Medicine at the University of Liverpool.
- Verity Buglass, from Shrewsbury, achieved an A* in Mathematics and AA in Biology and Chemistry and secured her place at the University of Manchester to read Medicine.
- Alice Smail, from Church Stretton, achieved an A* in Fine Art and three A grades in Mathematics, Biology, and Chemistry and will attend Lancaster University.
- Lydia Smith, from Oswestry, achieved an A* in Psychology, and AA in History and English Literature. She will read History at the University of Nottingham.
- Jack Pochin, from Nantwich, secured an A* in Geography, and AA in Mathematics and Physics. He now moves on to the University of Birmingham to read Civil Engineering.
- Angel Xia, from Shanghai, and Cynthia Qiu, from Hangzhou City, both achieved AAA in Mathematics, Biology, and Chemistry. Angel will pursue Biotechnology whilst Cynthia will pursue Medical Biosciences, both at Imperial College, London.
Toby said of his results, "I am delighted with my results and looking forward to reading Medicine at the University of Liverpool." Verity Buglass was also very pleased with her results, "I'm really happy with my results - I'm going to the University of Manchester to read Medicine - I'm really excited!"
Headmaster of Ellesmere College, Brendan Wignall said he was delighted with the results which follow the excellent showing of students in the BTEC Sports Performance and Excellence Diploma and the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma last month.
"I congratulate our A level, IB, and BTEC students on their outstanding achievements. It is a delight to see our students secure impressive grades such as these and it is particularly pleasing to see all who wish to progress to university being able to do so," he said. "It is even more impressive when taking into account the wide range of co-curricular activities they participate in as members of the choir, sports teams, orchestra, drama groups and debating. I commend them for participating fully in all the college has to offer and managing their academic commitment so effectively. Credit must also go to the excellent work of our teaching staff and, of course, to parents for their constant support and encouragement."
For more about our Sixth Form please visit: Sixth Form at Ellesmere
15th August 2019 Back to News