Pupils at Ellesmere College are celebrating their GCSE results today. Teachers are delighted with the achievements of pupils with 83.5% being awarded more than five A* to C grades. It was pleasing to note that over 35% of all grades were the top grades of A*/A – an outstanding performance by students. Many departments recorded 100% pass rate. The first results of the new Science GCSE were outstanding with over 90% at A* to C with 100% of the pupils who took the triple sciences passing with either A*, A or B grades.
Whilst heartfelt congratulations go to all students there were some particularly notable performances that are worthy of specific mention as many scooped up a cluster of A* grades.
- Joshua Boswell (Glyn Ceirog) - 7A* and 3 A grades
- William Bevan (Shrewsbury) - 6A*, 1A and 3 B's
- Rebecca Britton (Dudleston Heath) - 4A* and 6 A's
- Joe Dapling (Oswestry) - 2A*, 8 A's
- Rowan Dell (Oswestry) - 4A*, 4 A's and 1 B
- Zoe Haynes (Welshampton) - 8A*, 1A and 1B
- Frederick Herzog (Ruyton XI Towns) - 7A*, 3A's
- Christopher Johnson (Oswestry) - 6A*, 2A's and 2 B’s
- Jonathan Pescod (Audlem) - 1 A*, 8 A's and 1 B
- Nicholas West (Loggerheads) - 1A*, 8A's and 1 B
- James Wilson, (Whitchurch) - 1A*, 6 A's, 1B and 1C
- Niko Wojtynia (Porta West Falica, Germany) - 8 A's and 1 B
- Martin Jones (Snailbeach) - 8 A's
Joshua and Joe also managed to achieve a pass grade at the Advanced Additional Mathematics, gaining a grade C and B respectively.
Several other students achieved a high number of top grades and the majority are joining the Sixth Form to start either A levels or the International Baccalaureate in September.
Mr Brendan Wignall, Headmaster, said "It is a delight to see such a good set of results particularly as our students not only excel academically but take on enthusiastically the wide range of opportunities we offer them – drama, music, a wide range of sports and outdoor adventure training. The results today are a credit to them, to their teachers and, of course, to their parents."
21st August 2008 Back to News