A day in the Life of an Aviva premiership referee - Greg Macdonald

The morning starts at 6.30am before I head into Ellesmere College to begin teaching. Tonight's game is already on my mind but the day seems to be flying by. It's already half twelve in the afternoon and time for my last lesson of the day; teaching a group of Year 9 pupils about Osmosis & Diffusion.

Everyone's intrigued by the movement of particles in the body, especially the diffusion of oxygen into the lungs and blood. As you can see everyone is working very hard! But we still had time for a class selfie with Doug the skeleton!


13.10 - A quick bite to eat in the dining hall before I get on the road.

13.30 - The start of a very long drive down to London; I enter the details into the satellite navigation and one way the journey will take me 195 miles and four hours, which isn't bad considering it's a Friday afternoon.


17.00 - I eventually arrive in London and take a quick detour to the Home of England Rugby and the headquarters of the RFU, Twickenham Stadium. I meet up with my coach for a quick catch-up. The whole of Twickenham seemed to be full of life with people getting ready for the England v New Zealand International match, which was scheduled for the next day.

Our initial conversation was England's potential success against the kiwis before we soon turned our thoughts to tonight's match and running through plays, scenarios, and game play issues that may arise. It was good to catch-up with him.


18.00 - Arrived at The Twickenham Stoop and the home of Harlequins to referee their LV Cup match against Newport Gwent Dragons. The environment seemed very calm as I parked the car at the stadium and headed through security into the changing rooms.

Before we headed out onto the pitch to warm-up I always like to have a catch-up with the touch judges, time-keeper, fourth official and reserve referee - everyone was in a buoyant mood and ready for the game.


Next, it's the team briefings and explanations about how I want things to be done during the game, for example, calls at scrummage, foul play and, of course, the captains' coin toss, which was won by the Harlequins captain Karl Dixon.

A final warm-up and a check with the communications team to ensure our teams mics and sound equipment are working before we head out onto the pitch in front of 14,000 fans.


19.45 - Kick-Off On a chilly evening The Stoop was lit up by the surrounding Bonfire Night fireworks. Harlequins fought back from a 13-point half time deficit to run out 31-21 winners. Trailing 8-21 at the break, Harlequins scored all the points in the second half.


21.15 - Final Whistle. At the end of the game it was time to shake hands with the player's and head back into the changing rooms. We like to have a quick review of the game to discuss how we feel it went, before a more detailed catch-up in the next few days.

1am - Home Time - Eventually arrived back home following a 390 mile round trip, and it's time for a good rest before I head off to do it all again tomorrow at Adams Park, home of the Wasps as they take on London Irish.