UKVI Visa Application Process

Ellesmere College and UKVI Visa Application Process

Unless you are a UK national, you will need to have a valid visa to study in the UK before you can start your chosen course of study at Ellesmere College.

Once you have paid your deposit and have met all the conditions of the formal offer made, the Admissions Team will confirm your place and send you a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).

If you need a visa, you will need to use this CAS to support your visa application.

Please note: the earliest you can apply for a visa is 6 months before the start of the chosen course of study.

Visa types

There are two types of Student Route visa (previously Tier 4) that will allow any student to study in the UK at Ellesmere College

  • Student visa – this is available for all students who will be aged 16 or over when they start their academic programme. Students who will be aged 18 or over must apply for a Student visa
  • Student Child visa – this is an option for students aged 17 or under when they start their course at Ellesmere College

The Student Route falls under the UK's new points-based immigration system.

Please see the links to the official Home Office website for more information about each type of visa and see further information on the downloads section at the bottom of the International Student homepage.

Detailed information about the different types of student visas and the visa application process, are also available on the UK government's visas and immigration website. Do I need a visa?

Student visas

If you need to apply for a Student visa for a Child Student visa to study at Ellesmere, you must:

  • have accepted the Offer of a place at Ellesmere College and paid the necessary funds, you will then be issued with a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) number.

You will then be ready to apply for your visa using the online visa application form and you will be asked to provide supporting documents that give evidence of your identity, academic qualifications and the ability to fund your studies in the UK.

These include:

  • your passport
  • any previous passports and UK visas
  • two recent, colour photographs
  • a signed letter from your parents consenting to your studying in the UK if you are aged 17 or under at the time of the visa application
  • academic evidence – this will be listed on your CAS
  • evidence from bank statements of sufficient funds to cover the full course fees
  • an English language qualification

You will need to pay an application fee (£348 for students) and have a current passport or other valid travel documents.

You will also need to pay a fee called an Immigration Health Surcharge. This gives you access to the UK's National Health Service. Students receive a 25 per cent discount on the usual cost of this surcharge – so the full rate for the Health Surcharge is £470 per year or £352 with the 25% discount applied.

UKVI Visa Application Guidance

Note: You will need Adobe Reader to view PDF documents, or Microsoft Word to view/edit Word documents.